Friday 1 June 2018

All the options of ostomy bags

Finding the right ostomy bag can sometimes be a long and strenuous process. After going through surgery and coming out with a stoma on the other side, the last thing you want to do during your recovery process is try to figure your way through finding the ostomy bag for your needs, tastes, and preferences. I remember spending a lot of time on the couch recovering from surgery and looking at different websites online to try and find the best ostomy supplies for my new stoma friend. The good news is that there is a lot of information online that can help you in determining what ostomy gear works best for you. You really aren’t limited in how you want to approach your shopping experience, so long as your doctor has cleared you to be going out and about. However, I would much rather do my shopping in sweat pants from my couch.


So basically, there are three different types of bags that you have to choose from on your ostomy bag search. They each come in a variety of sizes and other options as well, and it is essential to pick the one that you like and that the doctors recommend for you. The three different bag types are for the three different types of ostomy that one would receive; a colostomy, ileostomy, or urostomy, and they each have their own special purpose and correct way of using them. Personally, I use a colostomy bag because that is the type of surgery I had done on my colon. With each bag, there are two different variations that you may come across during your ostomy bag shopping spree. One piece ostomy bags are, as the name suggests, pouches that have the skin barrier connected to the pouch and hence come in one piece. Two piece ostomy bags have a separate piece where the skin barrier is put into place inside the pouch. 



I have always personally liked one piece ostomy bags more than the two piece ones. I have found that it is just much more convenient to have just one thing to worry about when changing my ostomy pouch; after all, I’m clearly already not having a good time if I have to change out my bag of literal poop in the McDonald’s bathroom. There’s no need to further complicate things by having another piece of the pouch to worry about. One piece bags are also way easier to carry and hide under clothes. Most one piece bags are virtually unnoticeable underneath clothing, so it makes it really easy to pretend like I’m a normal person for a little bit. The disadvantages to one piece bags, though, are that it requires a bit more care when changing because you have to come into contact with the skin barrier at every bag change. The two piece bag allows for changes that do not necessitate removing the second piece of the pouch that is in contact with the skin barrier. What’s more, a one piece bag requires more care and accuracy when placing it on your stoma to prevent leaks.



For me, the pros outway the cons as far as I’m concerned when it comes to a one piece bag. Don’t just take my word, make sure to try out different types of bags to see which ones work best with your stoma!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Making a Treatment Plan for Rectal Cancer

In order to develop the best plan of care for your rectal cancer diagnosis, your doctors and other members of your healthcare team will look...